Summer Training Workshop on the Relationship Between National Security, Defense Modernization, and Technology in China
The summer workshop at UC San Diego is open to advanced graduate students, junior faculty, and early- to mid-career analysts.
The workshop examines the relationship between national security, defense modernization, technology, innovation, and China's rise as a world power. Of central interest is how China is mobilizing and applying its economic, political, strategic, corporate, financial, intellectual, and scientific capabilities in conjunction with leveraging external resources to achieve its grand ambition of catching up technologically with the world’s advanced military powers. The workshop will conclude with a two-day conference on US-China Strategic Competition in Defense Technological and Industrial Development.
This course is part of the Study of Innovation and Technology in China (SITC), an IGCC initiative on understanding China’s emerging science and technology capabilities.
- The place of S&T in Chinese thinking on security and development: Techno-nationalism and Chinese approaches to S&T innovation
- The development of the defense economy from Mao Zedong to the late 1990s
- The restructuring of the PLA high command and implications for the defense S&T system
- Chinese state plans for strategic, defense, and dual-use research and development
- Making and implementing Chinese military long-term armament development strategies and plans
- The Chinese defense research, development, and acquisition system
- Managing major defense S&T projects
- The importance of absorption and foreign technology in China’s defense S&T development
- China-Russia defense technological and industrial cooperation
- The Chinese embrace of civil-military integration
- The funding of China’s defense S&T
- The impact of corruption and structural impediments on China’s defense STI system
July 20–26, 2016
Sixth Study of Innovation and Technology China Summer Training Workshop
August 4–10, 2014
Fifth Summer Training Workshop on the Relationship Between National Security and Technology in China